Cake Frosting Pink—A Joyful Kitchen for Everyday! We whipped up a yummy batch of Fun & Function with happy color and efficient work zones for this Joyful Kitchen.
You’re never too old to be tickled pink! That’s how we approached this kitchen, a sweet scene designed everyday for two and for the larger gatherings of family pastry and pasta making.
A good working kitchen with organized stations is a must, so a full-service setup is key. For this joyful kitchen, we focused on designing a practical and efficient space that still evoked a playful personality. Youthful sensibility was top of mind, while practical efficiency was our rudder, along with playful design elements that radiate with energy and joy. And of course, color, color, color!
The space needs to be functional for two, and for sous-chefs working side by side for large gatherings. The existing footprint guided the galley-like floor plan. Designated stations organized different work-zones, reduced the overwhelming length of the space, and offered opportunities to add a little spark of spunk and fun flair. At Lucy, we must infuse a little fun; no need to take life so seriously.
These work-stations give this kitchen rhythm—Coffee Bar, Chef’s Station, Pastry Island, Cake Pantry, Entertaining Bar and Sunny Side-Up Breakfast Room. Each space flaunts a distinct personality and purpose. Let’s highlight each one:
- The Coffee Bar is no-nonsense, organized, tidy and accessible at the kitchen entrance, so it’s readily within reach on early mornings for that first cup and always ready for a refill when working from home. We tucked this away behind cabinet pocket doors.
- The Chef’s Station features commercial double ovens, convection for baking, industrial range and an oak-wrapped hood soaring above. The custom hourglass-shaped hood complements the oak floor and beams in the adjacent gathering room.
- The Pastry Island is a chef’s dream with a 10’ expanse of Cambria solid surface marble-like counters (perfect for sticky preparation) providing a broad sweep for rolling dough. The oversized cast-iron sink is ready for anything with a sink-splash for drips and drops. Handy paper-towel dispenser at hand level (concealed just below the counter) is well-positioned above the pull-out trash and recycle bins.
- The Entertaining Bar is adorned in peacock and brass—and ready for a party. Like confetti on a cake, the dining buffet stands out in a crowd, inviting guests to linger. We dressed up the backsplash with a Cambria slab, capping it with a display ledge, which shows off fun faves like plants and an assortment of mod dishes. This space easily morphs into a sideboard during family dinners or a bar for celebrations. The adjustable arm sconces shine upon a trio of graphic prints from a local artist that reflect the hues of the buffet below.
- The Sunny Side-up Breakfast Room is topped with a kitschy wedding-cake style chandelier that turns up the fun vibe. Comfortable and relaxed was the request, so practicality leads: the pedestal table is designed for gathering around and performance-fabric upholstered seats foil gooey fingers. The space spills out to the tree-top balcony providing a bird’s eye view to watch for the neighborhood eagle and observe lakeside activities. While it’s a breakfast room, sunsets at dinnertime offer a welcome wind-down.
Every Lucy kitchen has one thing in common—JOY!! So color was the key element in this kitchen to lift the spirits. Each day begins and ends in the kitchen, so first we created a clean, quiet palette of classic neutrals: tones of white, lightly-toned woods, rattan and natural textures and, of course, darling, delicate pinks. Pops of peacock and bursts of cake-frosting pink remind all of us of a bowl of Lucky Charms!
Designed for two, the kitchen is efficient and maintains a tidy, put-away look. With generous circulation and flow, it accommodates a team-work cooking style. It’s always ready for sous-chefs to jump into the nearby Cake Pantry (hiding behind that sweet frosting pink door) and get to work on the expansive island. And yes, the 10 foot island may be designed for pastry or pasta making. By day, a perfect work from home perch and by night, ideal for buffet style parties. The open-living space welcomes everyone who enters it, with party spillover easily accommodated by the adjoined gathering room.
FUN + FUNCTION RECIPE:
+ Organized in 6 work-stations for efficiency, but always party-ready.
+ A clean backdrop of materials and natural finishes.
+ Benjamin Moore Super White painted panel-style cabinetry quiets.
+ Polished chrome hardware adds bounce.
+ Cambria solid-surface countertops allow for easy maintenance.
+ Commercial appliances, a must for state-of-the-art cooking.
+ Sassy light fixtures intentionally lift the joyful mood, adding style and pizzazz.
+ Task-lighting, efficiently located with an integrated lighting system.
+ Artisan tile backsplash adds texture, while maintaining a clean, quiet style.
+ Peacock dome pendants float over the island like jaunty hats, and the entertaining bar is a crowd pleaser!
JOYFUL KITCHEN NEWS!
We are beyond excited to share that this joyful kitchen won a 2020 ASID Award. We are so happy we plan to bake up a new yummy batch of Fun + Function!